It's true, I was at the Harry Potter release yesterday. Why? ... a reason to wear my cloak maybe. I don't truly know why I went. I bought Terry Goodkind's "Debt of Bones". It's a short book; a short story actually. Only 160 pages. I finished that in two hours; not a hard task. I did buy Harry Potter, not that I'm going to read it or anything. My roommate's birthday was back in March and I neglected to buy anything for him. Well, he's really excited about this book. I also got a Harry Potter poster, which I'll be sending to another friend. I'd have to describe the release as GenCon but with more books and less chainmail. There were plenty dressed up and Barnes & Noble had a facepaint area. So some kids had corny glasses painted onto their faces. It took me a while to figure out that they were glasses.
Found a book titled "Making Out in Japanese".
4 Comments:
MORE books?!? How could that even be possible. I would think that everyone would have only 1 book. At GenCon, there are hundreds of different books being sold, probably with at least an average of 1 or 2 books being sold per attendee. Let alone the number of books people bring with them. I mean, what do you think we use when we play roleplaying games. There are ALOT of books at GenCon.
Yes, bookstores have that annoying tendency to sell only one book at a time. That's why I have to go so often.
Seriously, Matt, have you ever been to a Barnes and Noble? I'm relatively certain they have more books than God. There may be a lot of books at GenCon, but there's a SHITLOAD of books at book releases. Especially when they use the opportunity to PROMOTE OTHER FANTASY BOOKS.
Also, "a lot" is two words and I'll kill anyone who says otherwise.
True they can use the oppritunity to promote other books...but exactly who was paying attention to those. How many people that were there do you think cared. I guess I would say that both are comparible in the number of books sold/used at the event. And I don't care how you spell a lot...I can spell alot however I want. A lot of the time I just pick a random way to spell alot
I think it depends on what you see as "more books". More books sold? More books present? More books for sale? GenCon probably wins in the latter two categories due to the sheer size of the event. If you further limited those by number of books per square foot (or some other unit of measurement), the bookstores probably win since it's kind of the point for them to cram as many books in a small space as possible. More books sold - this one's probably a lot closer. If you put all 4 days of GenCon together, then yeah, it wins. But people were buying more than one book at the HP release - we'd been in the bookstore for as much as 3 1/2 hours, people found other books they wanted.
Post a Comment
<< Home