Friday, September 23, 2005

Otter Space!

So ... I'd say the most valuable thing I'm learning in Media & Society is that the internet is loved more for exploration rather than entertainment. Exploration can be defined in many ways, but it's the quest for knowledge that strikes home. As such, I've only completed one of my discussion questions (3.5% of grade) and have only read part of the other question. The first question had us visit the Parental Television Council's website. It's an okay site, but I think they're retarded. And it's not because they're conservative; it's because they don't care about the V Chip. They know it exists, but they actually hate it. Sure it might not be the best thing in the world, but it is better than nothing. And I guess the V Chip's programming is dependent on the television set, so I didn't find anything about how to program it. That may be because I'm too lazy to pull information off the back of the tv to google. The second discussion question is to check out the Independent Media Center and compare its news to mainstream media. "Especially the war in Iraq." They've got a lot of news and it's kinda hard to sort out. The most popular coverage is on the hurricanes. So ... I haven't actually gotten around to reading all that I have to.

It looks like the other nine questions (4 for 3.5% and 5 for 3.5%) also require website readings. I'll probably be up all night reading them. I'm beginning to loathe the internet for the exact reason I love it. Also, people are retarded and I hate them. Especially the part where independent journalists have no reason to remain objective. In fact, I think they go out of their way to add derogatory comments (namely toward police officers). I'm led to believe that they accept random news, and that anyone could post if they wanted to. Thus, I'm pretty sure it was just a bunch of kids expressing their anger toward law enforcement. And lemme just say, I don't care that much; I hate most people equally.

***
There were three squad cars sitting outside the apartment. I probably would have started deleting files from my computer except it appeared they had pulled someone over. Beats me what it was all about. They must have been outside for fifteen or twenty minutes; we even heard a helicopter fly overhead.

***
I heard back from the LG con coordinators. Since I have class next Fri & Sat, I doubt I'll make it to the con, but they apparently don't need me. They've got a slot 0 tomorrow that I've been invited to, but I don't know if I'm going. The offer didn't really state if they needed a judge or wanted a player. I'd rather avoid playing because I value homework more. But if they need a dm ...

***
Classes for next month are out to get me. I have SGP (Structured Game Programming?) and Rules of the Game. SGP is T/TH/Sa from 9am to 5pm; Rules is M/W 1pm to 5pm. I'm not sure how I'm going to go about waking up at 8:30am on Tuesday; I'm tempted to stay up all night. We'll see.

***
Another thing I'm missing out on by having MS online is the opportunity to wear my "Censorship Sucks" shirt. (My parents didn't care much for it when they saw it in my hamper.)

***
Apparently the car I bought from/for my younger brother blew up. The transmission & radiator blew simultaneously. He had told me that the transmission had been replaced merely months before he bought it. So ... either he was lied to, or he really sucks at driving. Definitely the latter, maybe the former. It seems he had managed to save up some money to buy another, but not alot. I don't know if he even intends on paying me back, and I'm probably just better off letting it go. I'd probably just end up spending the money on beautiful women. ;)

***
My dad had quit his job at the shoe store to get a delivery job. He can't stand on his feet for very long; they start to swell up. Apparently the delivery job didn't work out. When I was younger he delivered Dolly Madison; we had so much fun riding in the truck. But for the past ten years or so, he's been working for shoe stores. This one's probably the worse since his manager is a little senile. (He's an assistant manager.) The week after he quit, the other assistant manager was held up at knife point. The assistant manager and the other employee closing the store started screaming and the mugger ran. I think he might have grabbed one of their purses. I don't really know; but my dad was glad he wasn't there.

***
Still no news on Del's job or Chill's laptop. Maybe next week.

1 Comments:

At 1:52 AM, Blogger Tony said...

I do spend an awful lot of time avoiding homework by learning about stuff on the Internet. My favorite site has to be Wikipedia. You can learn so much and go on such tangents it's mesmerizing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home