Thursday: after getting off work at 1am, I drove the 14+- hours to Indy. That drive really sucked. But at least I had air conditioning and a Modest Mouse CD. After finding a parking lot outside Indy, I slept in the back of my wagon. Totally missed out on the planned True Dungeon run.
Friday: I got to stand in line for an hour getting a badge and event tickets. I roamed the dealer hall for a few hours. Didn't really do much there. I don't like spending money if I don't have to, so I didn't buy any of the swords I wanted. I did find some of those Pirates of the Burning Sea card/ships. Those were fun to build. I wish they were cheaper so I could make all of them. Heh. Without anything really scheduled, I spent the rest of the day waiting in line for the miniature Paint 'n Take. Again, if I had money, I'd probably spend the rest of my life painting miniatures. It's just so much fun. I spent the night in the back of my wagon outside of town. It wasn't terribly bad. It's a little scary though.
Saturday: I decided to hit up the True Dungeon tavern right when it opened. I waited all day for someone to need a filler, but I never got the chance. It might have helped if I had the $60 in cash, but there's no way I'd sleep in the back of my wagon with cash in my pocket. I spent most of the day waiting outside the tavern, reading the swag I got out of the dealer hall. I almost missed the Knights of the Dinner Table Live Read, but I realized it in time and got there just before it started. I suppose after sitting outside the tavern all day, standing in the back should have felt good for my legs. But it didn't. Of course, the Read was awesome. I love the room full of fans. There's just a great vibe when that happens. "I waste 'em with my crossbow!"
Sunday: Another lap around the dealer hall, snapping pictures of great costumes. I heart Boba Fett costumes. I also spent some time in the Anime Rooms. Gotta love giant robots. The drive back home sucked. It's just so far! I got home around 4am. My bedtime anyway.
Monday: Came up for an excuse as to why I missed four days of work. I'm not sure they bought it.
***
... wait ...
That wasn't what happened at all! I didn't notice it was GenCon until Friday. I figured out what Nurse Mom was talking about "being all alone", since she didn't go. I had thought about wearing costumes to work that weekend, but decided against it. Instead, I wore my volunteer GameMaster shirt on Friday and my 3.5 shirt on Saturday. No one noticed. Which might be a good thing.
Though this Saturday when I wore my D20 shirt, one of the students noticed. I had to admit that I've only played D20 (Modern) once, though I did play Dungeons and Dragons.
***
So my air conditioning is out again. *sigh* Five more weeks 'til I'm done with this stupid apartment. Next weekend I'll be visiting my dad, but the weekend after I plan to get a storage unit ... again. And then ... the Move begins! I can't wait. I'm so tired of this apartment. It really doesn't matter what happens from there, as long as I get to move out of here!
***
A few weeks ago, one of my teachers had been planning on leaving, or at least stepping down as Course Director. He said he just wasn't enjoying it anymore. (Admittedly, he's been having some "less than desirable" students lately.) Of course, I immediately thought about replacing him. Now, I had only heard this from coworkers in his class. So I emailed him about it (since I didn't really believe what I had heard). I didn't get any response, so I went to talk to him. However, he was in the middle of a conversation, and something he said implied he didn't intend to leave anytime soon. (It's possible that a raise changed his mind about leaving.) One of my coworkers talked to him one-on-one about it and he said he did, in fact, change his mind about leaving. And I was disappointed. But at the same time, I like that teacher and wish he would never leave. (Though I never had him as a Course Director, he was a Lab Specialist when I went through.)
I'm still interested in being a Course Director here, but I don't think the opportunity will arise anytime soon.
On a closely related note, in the fall we get a large number of new students. And in November they'll make it to my classes. Generally, they split the 80+ classes into two lectures, which means they need someone to teach the other lecture. I believe they have a guy right now, but I'm sure he doesn't want to do it (in addition to his own lecture). And the PG1 teacher is interested in having me teach the other lecture if that guy isn't up for it. It would be cool if I could do it (since I could emphasize some important debugging aspects). But November is a long way away, and I'm probably not looking at a pay increase for it. Nor would it be a long term position. It'd only last two or three months.
***
Being a high-class hair-stylist, my sister-in-law frequently meets someone that works in the game industry. And recently she met a guy from Amaze Entertainment; he said they're hiring programmers and that it should be easy to find a job in Seattle. (Yeah, if I were looking.) Amaze has worked on some pretty good games, and their website says they're hiring Nintendo DS programmers. While it would be cool to work on a DS game, I'm scared of working with such small system resources. Optimization is key in those situations ... and I'm not really the most optimized person.
I don't really want to leave Full Sail. Partly that I'm scared of doing anything more with my life (not to say my job is unimportant). And partly because I enjoy (for the most part) what I do here. If I got a Course Director position, I'd be completed satisfied with my situation (and pay). But if all I'm gonna do is complain about the pay, then I really need to grow some balls and find a job that pays more.
Decisions decisions.
***
I weighed in at 257 lbs today. I expect to stay there this month since I lazied out of buying healthy food (it's my last month here, so why not have fun?). Though moving furniture might help keep it off. I'll try to just control my portions, though that's easier said than done.
7 Comments:
You had me going there for a bit, but I would have HOPED you would give one of us a call if you were at Gencon. I could believe you could cruise the dealer's hall without being seen by one of us, but it's a lot harder to believe you would have hung out at the TD tavern without either Belle or Kay seeing you and saying something.
Also, I think that standby people weren't having much problem getting into True Dungeon. At least the 8th player we had said he walked right in.
Anyway -- I think you'd probably do a good job as a course director, because you're motivated to do that job well. On the other hand, having game industry could only be a plus if you then returned to Full Sail (or similar program) later.
In other words -- I don't know what you should do either!
Yeah, there was no way he could have been at the Tavern without being seen by me, since I was doorperson first thing in the morning on Saturday. He also would have known that the Live Read wasn't standing room only--we had a huge room and low attendance (speculated to be due to the ticket mistakes) and there were tons of open seats. So that's when I realized he was making stuff up.
Plus the fact that TD doesn't cost $60. :P
Oh yeah, one other thing: I don't think I saw a Boba Fett costume all weekend. Lots of stormtroopers as usual, but no Boba Fett, not a lot of Jedi, maybe one Darth Vader and one slave-costume Leia.
Pirates are more prevalent, though.
Plenty of pirates, fewer Star Wars than before it seemed. I saw more than one slave costume though.
On another note, the start of the post just confused me...enough so that I skimmed down until I saw where he said thats not what happened.
Well, some of the people on the GenCon forums had a Star Wars costume get-together, which they said was moderately well attended. And I know at least one person who wore a slave Leia costume, and saw pictures of a pretty awesome Queen Amidala outfit. But yeah, lots of anime, lots of pirates, and actually a good bit more Renaissance/fantasy than I've seen before, thought that might come from spending most of my time in the tavern.
Well, I read the whole thing and thought I had clicked on the other Luigi's blog accidentally. But then I'm thinking--why is he sleeping in the car? I'm just losing my brain cells. Can't think at night!
There was an awesome Amidala costume at the costume contest. The largest group was in the anime category, and the sci-fi category was amazingly small (like 4 entrants), with only a couple of Star Wars costumes, none of which entered the sci-fi category.
Post a Comment
<< Home