So ... work isn't going as well as I'd like. Another student complained last month, not just about my lab guys, but about me as well. I didn't get to see the complaint, I was just informed about it. My supervisor asked me about the student, how his grades had been, etc. He's going to chalk it up to a student just whining about his low grades. At the time of the complaint, it looked like the student would fail me for the second time, thus getting kicked out of the program. But no, the student did actually pass the second time.
Add that with an email my boss got last month about my lab guys slacking off. And he thought it was "rude" that they weren't introduced. Oh, I'm sorry, do I need to wear a f*cking name tag? Boo hoo! We do wear name tags, they're called ID badges. This particular student passed my class this month.
I haven't seen my critiques since I started this position. Probably because I asked the students to write "constructive" criticism. And with 50+ students, the admins must have figured I suck. November I asked the students to write how they think the class topics should be ordered (since I intend on reorganizing the topics). This month I just asked how well they thought the study guide actually related to the final. We'll see if I ever get them.
My boss hasn't mentioned my critiques just yet; I think they're waiting to see how the next month turns out. And they'll probably keep waiting until I improve. When I took the position, he said he'd have a meeting with me to review my performance. He's yet to mention that ... so I'm scared.
I'd like to know where I stand: am I doing good? average? or poor? Some students will say I'm great, others will say I'm horrible. I almost wish I would get fired just so I wouldn't have to put up with this anymore. It's not like I have only one boss or supervisor to please. I have to please 50+ students EVERY MONTH, else my boss gets emails. The stress is killing me. If the majority think I'm a good teacher and a few students are jerks, that'd be great. But if the majority think I'm a bad teacher and I'm just months away from getting canned, well ... f*ck.
***
I'm officially on vacation now. I refuse to worry about anything until I get back.
1 Comments:
OK, you're entitled to a review, and I think it would (or at least could) be seen as a positive that you ask about getting that feedback. I know you want to be a better teacher (I can tell from the tone of your posts), so you're just looking for the ways to become better. You asked for the specific comments from the students, so you should at least be seeing that.
I'd take that bit about introducing your lab guys as some of that constructive criticism. It gives the students a chance to ask them by name, and it might give them a bit more pride in their work if you are acknowledging them.
Is it your job to make sure the lab guys aren't slacking off, or is someone else supposed to manage them?
And, you can't worry about the few stray bad comments. There will always be those, and you know you can't please everyone. Some people are just looking for any excuse to gripe.
Post a Comment
<< Home