Today was a good day. I had a good night's sleep followed by a day of errands. I don't have school 'til Tuesday, so I get to relax for a while. This is the last weekend before Final Project officially starts; so these are my final days of freedom. Since I had a few things that I've wanted to get done for a while, I finally got off my lazy ass and did some.
I washed a load of clothes (and found that I don't fit a few of them).
I fixed my desk too. Wooh! I was pretty worried the entire time. My intention was to super glue it all together. The first problem was that some screws had been torn out of their holes, and the holes were ruined. I was hoping to super glue the screw into the wood where the hole should be. That didn't work because there were splinters in the hole-like dent. So the screw didn't hold onto anything. Then I started screwing in a piece with a Philips head; it apparently needed an Allen wrench. So I stripped it before it got all the way in. Then I didn't know how to get the desk assembled without the left leg falling off again. I decided to build the desk upside down, because the top of the desk was the only piece that wasn't broken. So I attached the left leg to the top, but got distracted with removing the slide-out keyboard tray. While dismantling the keyboard tray, the left leg started to tip over and it bent some screws. *sigh* I had given up most hope for this. But the leg was still fairly secure with bent screws, so I kept working. I had Chill help me lift the right leg/back section of the desk onto the top. The I used the bent screws on the left leg to place the leg onto the top and then bend it into the back piece. So ... it's pretty sturdy now.
With the desk out of the closet, I cleaned my room as well. Mostly it was putting boxes into the closet. Let's just hope the water heater doesn't explode all over my books.
I bought a Han Solo stand-up display. I was hoping to get Chewie as well, but they're apparently sold out. Rats.
And now I get to go to sleep again! Wooh!
4 Comments:
If you've got holes in wood that the screws have torn out, here's how to get the screw to hold tight again: Jam toothpicks into the hole, and glue them in with carpenter's wood glue (whichyou can get most anywhere: Wal-Mart/Target/Walgreens/a lot of grocery stores, as well as any hardware store). Best to dip the toothpicks into glue first, stick them one-by-one in the hole and break them off level with the wood. Let that dry then screw the screw back in. It should hold tight.
The problem with superglue is that it gets absorbed too much into wood, and it's too brittle when dry to screw into. Superglue is fine for glass/plastic/ceramic, not for anything too pourous or flexible.
Mr. Bald Fixit
Elmer's glue is also OK, but wood glue is much better.
Thanks for the advice. I'll neglect to do that since it seems to be working without it. But I'll keep it in mind next time I'm playing with wood.
Oh yeah, if it's not broke now don't fix it. The toothpick thing was indeed for future reference.
Post a Comment
<< Home